Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Character Development of The Nurse

   For my character journal, I chose to focus on The Nurse. From the beginning of the story, I really liked this character's way of thinking. I thought of her as the mother Juliet could actually listen to and learn from, considering Lady Capulet wasn't acting like a real mother towards her. The Nurse was giving Juliet advice when she asked for it and even when she thought she needed it. She even threw a little humor into the story when things were getting a little windy!
   In the beginning of the story, The Nurse is rambling on and on about true love with Juliet. Juliet is very mature for her age, but she can't imagine getting married at this time in her life. A little later on she meets Romeo and her feelings change. The Nurse is there for Juliet, letting her spill her feelings out. The Nurse encourages her even though he is a Montague.
   Once Romeo has been rumored to be 'dead' and Juliet is set to marry Paris, The Nurse changes her way of thinking a little bit. I feel she is almost telling Juliet to forget about Romeo and is encouraging her to marry Paris. I think Juliet felt the same way about this 'new' Nurse. Although The Nurse didn't follow through on who I thought she was, she really does want the best for Juliet.

No comments:

Post a Comment