Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Compare and Contrast

  In my opinion, Tillie's family and the Capulet family are both similar, but also have some differences. I will start by saying that both of the main characters do not have very good relationships with their mother. Tillie and Ruth, and Beatrice, their mother, have a certain way of going about things. Somethimes, Beatrice will be very tolerable while at others you wouldn't be able to tell that she is a mother to those children. Lady Capulet and Juliet also do not have a very close relationship, but I would say that they handle everything with much more respect to each other, even at times when they are fighting.
 Another thing I found to be very similar is that both families have people they dislike. However, the Capulets are only against the Montague family while as with Tillie's family, Beatrice really just hates people in general. She is always complaining about everybody who calls their house, and does not even end up going to see Tillie in the science fair.
  Overall, I feel as though I could really get a sense of Tillie's family by how the author chose them to act around each other. There were only a few characters, so it made it easier to connect and relate to them. The Capulet family is very large and all in all I couldn't connect to everyone on the same level, let alone get a feel for them and who they are.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with exactly what you said! Tillie's family was easier to get to know than the Capulets for sure and the daughters interactions with their mothers is definitely weak.

    ReplyDelete